Monday 23 June 2014

Umendo Chapter 47

Umendo Chapter 47

I woke up in a pool of water surrounded by familiar faces from the complex, Zodwa had my head in her arms.Somebody was calling the ambulance. I quickly felt my whole body for the gunshot wound, I was not bleeding and the only pain I felt was at the back of my head when I fell and landed on the ground and on my chest, where Chief had kicked me. Oh God, this only meant one thing, they had shot my husband! I got up, and stumbled into the house to check my husband. There was someone in the kitchen filling up a dish with water, probably to splash it on me. There was no one in the living room, the floor was wet, I quickly surveyed the rest of the house and there was no one. I wept! What had they done with Siya? I asked Zodwa what had happened to Siya, she told me that they took him with them. They had poured cold water onto him to wake him up and dragged him into one of their vans. So who had been shot then? Zodwa showed me the hole on our front door, they had shot the door. I don't know if it was to get me to open the door or if that bullet was meant for me. I got sick to my stomach, I knew I had to do something about my husband before they finished him off if they hadn't already. Zodwa told me that they said they were taking him to Norwood Police Station. 

I called Faith! It had to be her and Didi's drugs. I had let her into our house not knowing she was going to bring us so much pain. Her phone was not going through, I didn't have Didi's number so I was stuck. I put on some dry clothes and took my handbag to go to the police station. I was going to tell them who the drugs belonged to. I just hoped my husband was still alive. The whole place was upside down, I opened the drawer in the wardrobe where we kept emergency cash so I could bail Siya out if they agreed. It was gone! R5 000, all of it! Those thieves, those bastards! I knew wasn't going to get it back. Zodwa offered to drive me to the police station but I declined, she insisted so l ended up letting her drive me there. I don't know if it was out of sympathy or if she wanted to gobhoza to the rest of the complex when she got back. Whatever it was, I didn't care much at that point, I just wanted my husband back home. 

We got there and they wouldn't let me see him. I told them about Faith and her boyfriend. They asked for her number and I gave it to them. They called her but it wasn't going through, so they said I should take them to Didi's place. I had only been there twice, I feared that I wouldn't remember the place, worse it was at night. He lived eYouville, so it wasn't that far from the police station. They were three squad cars and a van. About 12 berets. Chief was there as well, I wanted to spit on him, but I knew what was best for me and my husband. When we got there, the security guard let us in, that made me think. Who had let them into our complex because Lindo leaves around 8pm and he doesn't live in our complex? They banged on the door, but nobody opened, so they broke in. They searched the whole flat and found a huge ward of cash, it had to be nothing less than R70 000, about a dozen passports, tablets, laptops and phones. They took them all! I asked Chief if he was going to let my husband go, but he said that they weren't going to let him go because for all they knew my husband was working with Didi and Faith! What? Are you kidding me? I asked him to let him out so he couldn't get some medical attention at least, but he refused saying he could skip the country. He even refused bail and said I had to go apply in court for bail. Oh nkosi yam bantu! I called our lawyer to find out what our options were but he wasn't picking up his phone. I was stuck! . 

When we got downstairs, I asked the security guard if he had seen Didi and Faith. He told me that they had left the flat about an hour earlier, he said they had probably gone to eGuest House/ Palace, a club in Youvillle. Chief was listening, so we went there. I prayed that we would find them there. We got there around 1am. I went in with two berets, we scoured the place but I couldn't find them. I went to the ladies toilets and I found Faith there with one of her friends putting make up on. I pulled her out to boma beret and said to her "tell them that you are the one who stashed those drugs in my house and where Didi is". She looked at me confused, but I wasn't buying it! I wanted to slap the hell out of her, how dare she! They took her outside, everyone in the club was watching, some people even followed us outside. They asked her where Didi was, she hesitated a little. Bad mistake cos one beret backhanded her so hard she stumbled and fell to the ground with her hand rubbing where she had been slapped. I think it dawned on her that these people meant business, because she quickly got up and went sober there and then! She told them that she knew nothing and that  Didi had left soon after buying her drinks, he had gone to collect something in Hilbrow with one of his friends. She showed them Didi's car which was parked on the side. They told her to call Didi and tell him to get back ASAP, but not to tell him anything about them. Lucky enough Didi picked up and said they were already on their way back. We waited for him in the car, he arrived about 10 minutes later. They went straight to him as soon as he arrived and searched the car. They found more money and about 500g of white powder. If that wasn't evidence enough for them to let my husband go, I don't know what was. They arrested both of them and Faith. I followed them to the station with Zodwa. Apparently Didi and his friends had refused to say anything without a lawyer, and Didi had told Faith not to say anything either. Around 3am they let Siya out, he couldn't walk properly. He had to hold onto the walls for balance, his face was swollenand covered in blood l could hardly recognise him. His hands were swollen as well, Zodwa and l helped him to the car. We didn't get an apology or anything, Chief just said, "next time know who you let into your house". 

We took Siya to the hospital, it brought back memories of when he got stabbed just less than six months back. I was just glad that he was still alive. I received a text message from Faith saying "I am so sorry for what happened, but l swear l had nothing to do with the drugs". Yeah right! When I got off the phone with Zandie, l received a call from umamazala. Before I could even greet her she screamed "Wena mthakathi wezigodo, lifuna ukubulalisa umntanami! You failed to kill him last time, now you want to finish him!"

No comments:

Post a Comment