Monday 9 June 2014

Umendo Chapter 23

Umendo Chapter 23

Yeah, talk about about 'The Spirit Of Togetherness'. I felt helpless, Nicole and her mother were out to destroy us and there wasn't much we could do about it. I know that I had chosen to forgive my husband, but this was awakening my anger. Imagine you have been beat up to a pulp you didn't even think you willsurvive. Somehow you sum up the strength to hold on and stay strong. Slowly but surely your wounds start to heal, you begin to have hope that you will make it although you know that you will never forget the person who beat you up. Then that same person comes back and beats you up again, not as bad as before but still beats you up evusa amanxeba. That's how it felt. My husband's few minutes of weakness were causing us a lot more pain, and it didn't seem like it was going to end any time soon. We returned the furniture back into to house in the evening although it hadn't dried up. We all went over to Zandie's for a meal, we ended up having a small barbaque, the seven of us and the kids "any reason for a party" as Angela put it. We all had a good laugh exchanging stories, it ended up not being such a bad day after all. I knew l was blessed to have such people in my life and I was very thankful for it. Siya and l slept over at Zandie's since we all our blankets were wet. 

I called my insurance company for the next morning to make a claim as I had insured our home contents. It's a good thing l always kept receipts for every big purchase we made. They asked for a case number to confirm with the police. They said that they were going to send somebody over to assess the damages and see if our furniture needed to be repaired or replaced. Siya took a day off work to take our clothes and bedding to the laundrette, attend to the insurance agents when they came to assess the damage made to our contents and whatever else needed sorting out. Surprisingly, the insurance people were quick and efficient. I thought that l would have to fight tooth and nail to get our claim approved, but l received a call from them before I knocked off asking me if we preferred that they replaced our damaged goods with the next closest thing or money. I asked them how long replacing the contents would take compared to giving us money, and they said that money would probably take a week or two whilst replacing could take up to three months, so obviously l opted for the money. They told me that they were going to come and collect the damaged goods in a few days. They had even added the bed, dining table, chairs and rug to our claim list. On top of that they put down some personal clothing; cushions and pillows, which l didn't have receipts for. An electrician was sent to check if our sockets and electricals were safe to use and they changed our locks. They sent people to collect the furniture on Thursday and on Saturday we received our payment. Although we had to pay a premium for our claim, the pay out wasn't bad and we were happy with the amount. We knelt down and thanked God because we both didn't think we would get much from the insurance, The Lord was surely looking down on us. 

We spent the next few weeks making our home liveable again, our spirits had not been dampened by what had happened. A few months went by and life seemed to be a bit normal again. Nicole had called a few times wanting money for her baby shower but each time I told her where to get off. One day, Langa and l had gone out for lunch, it was my treat for her birthday when we saw Sharon , the girl who had been arrested for shoplifting. She was walking past the restaurant we were in and I waved at her. She had another girl with her. She came over to say hi. She gave me her phone number and asked me to call her as she had something important to tell me. I was puzzled as to what she could possibly have to tell me. I thought it probably had something to do with Nicole. I called her when I got home 
Sharon: I am glad I bumped into you today, l have been hoping to see you for a long time
Sme: Ok, why is that?
Sharon: Do you remember when you got arrested?
Sme: Yeah, how could I forget
Sharon: Lumki sent me in that Saturday 
Sme: Oh,l thought you were arrested for shop lifting? And didn't you say that she was going to bail you out?
Sharon: Ok, let me enlighten you a bit. I grew up with Nicki, we played together and went to the same school, but l was a year ahead of her. I got in trouble with the law a few times and Lumki helped me out, and a couple of times l begged her not to tell my mum cos I knew it would kill her, so she didn't 
Sme: Ok
Sharon: So because of that, Nicki and Lumki have blackmailed me a few times to do stuff for them 
Sme: No surprise there
Sharon: So that day when I came eNo_4 l had not been arrested for shop lifting, Lumki sent me there to start a fight with you then beat you up. I told my mother I was sleeping over at Nicki's so she wouldn't worry. Lumki told the officers on duty that day that l was her niece and she was trying to put me in line, so no paperwork for my arrest was ever made. When you saw me texting non stop, I was chatting with her, she kept on pushing me, reminding me what was at stake. 
Sme: (My mouth was dry,I was shocked to the core) So why didn't you go through with it? 
Sharon: You seemed like such a nice person, everytime l looked at you, you smiled at me and you showed genuine concern about me when you told me that it wasn't too late for me to make something our of my life. Lumki told me to take a stone and smuggle it inside my bra and use it to knock your teeth out, break a few bones and just give you a good beating nje in general. She told me that she would make sure that no charges would be laid on me, and if they are, they wouldn't stick. 
Sme: What made her think that you could beat me, what if I had beat you to a pulp instead?
Sharon: I said the same thing to her, but she was kept saying you wouldn't. In the end she told me to smuggle a stone, that way I would have more advantage than you
Sme: Tjooo, these people are crazy. So what did she do when you didn't follow through her plan?
Sharon: I was meant to leave those cells on Sunday, but Lumki took me out on Monday. She didn't tell my mum like she had threatened because then she wouldn't be able to blackmail me anymore
Sme: So what made you tell me this, aren't you scared she will find out you sold her out?
Sharon: Please don't tell her, I'm telling you this because I am sick of her and Nicki using people the way they do
Sme: Thank you very much for telling me, your secret is safe with me. 


Sharon: Oh, l don't know if this is any relevant, but a few months ago after your arrest,Lumki called me over to her house to force me to do more of her dirty work. Whilst l was there, l overheard her speaking about selling a car and your name was mentioned in the same conversation. It's probably nothing but just be careful, that woman is ruthless!

No comments:

Post a Comment