Wednesday 11 June 2014

Umendo Chapter 32

Umendo Chapter 32

Desperation causes people to be selfish l tell you. Buhle tried to make her mother see that she was way out of line, but uMaMoyo was adamant. She wanted a grandchild from my husband and she was going to do whatever it took to get what she wanted. I asked Buhle to come stay over at my house because l couldn't stand being alone with uMaMoyo in the house, but l didn't tell her that part obviously. It was a Friday so she wouldn't have to go to work because she always had the weekends off. After a lot of begging she agreed to stay for the weekend. So l dropped them off at home before l drove back to work. Buhle had prepared super when l arrived home in the evening. Her being there reduced the awkwardness between me and MaMoyo. We had visitors coming in and out the whole weekends to see umamazala, l did not mind having them over, l just wished she would tell me in advance so that l could prepare meals that were enough for everyone. I spent the whole weekend cooking and washing up. On Sunday evening uMaMoyo received a call from ekhaya saying that ubab'uNkomo is not looking good, she needs to come back immidiately. She was reluctant to go. l told her that Siya was doing much better and that she should go and be with her husband because if anything was to happen, God forbid, she would beat herself up for the rest of her life. Tjoooo, ngabe sengiluthezile olulenkume! 
MaMoyo: Usungixotsha endlini yomntanami? Translated> You are chucking me out of my son's house?
Sme: No mama, l am just saying if something happens to ubab'uNkomo, you will regret not being there by his side
MaMoyo: Who are you to tell me what will happen to my husband? Are you prophet now?
Sme: No, l just...
MaMoyo: Ngimdala ngingaka, Ngimdala lakunyoko. I don't need usana olunga ngawe telling me what to do. I will go when l'm ready, my husband will survive. There is nothing stronger than prayer
Sme: Ok, uxolo, l was just concerned that's all
MaMoyo: Concern yourself with other meaningful things, like giving my son a child

Whilst at work the following day l got a call from Bongiwe, she sounded sad and worried. She told me that ubab'uNkomo was getting worse and he was asking to speak to Siya. I told her l was going to call as soon as l got to the hospital. I tried to call MaMoyo but she wasn't picking up my calls. I went home and she wasn't there but her suitcase was still there. I called Buhle to ask her if they were together by any chance, but she told me that she last saw her on Sunday before she left for Pretoria. I told her about her father's deteriorating state, she told me that she was trying to get some time off work to go ekhaya on Thursday, then come back on a Sunday. I went to the hospital and l found uMaMoyo there. I told her about Bongiwe's call but she brushed it off and said that they were over exaggerating the situation, she had spoken to her husband and he sounded 'fine'. When she was about to leave, l offered to drop her off at home but she refused and told me that she got to the hospital by herself, so she could get back home by herself as well. Siya was asleep, but l stayed there, hoping he would wake up before l left. I missed him so much, l just wanted to hug him and his warmth on my body. Bongiwe called whilst l was still at the hospital
Bongiwe: Ubaba ukhalela ukukhuluma lo Siya. Translated> Father is desperate to speak to Siya
Sme: Ulele uSiya, let me try and wake him up
(Bongiwe handed ubab'uNkomo the phone before l could wake up Siya, l think he assumed he was on the other end, so he started speaking. He sounded very weak and his speech was a bit slurred)
Bab'uNkomo: Mntanami, ngiyagula. Translated > My son l am very poorly. (He took a deep breath) l decided to record the call so Siya could listen to it when he woke up. 
I did everything l could for you and your sisters, being a parent is not easy. But l hope you learnt a thing or two from your old man. Being a man doesn't mean having children all over the world, any man can have children. Indoda eqotho, yindoda elesithunzi, indoda ehloniphekayo. Kodwa ukuze ubelesthunzi, kufanele uhloniphe abantu ukuze bakuhloniphe lawe. Kuqala ngomkakho, ma ungamhloniphi umakoti, ngeke kumthokozise lokho. Ma umakoti engelayo intokozo, soze kubelokuthula endlini. But if your wife is happy, then she will do everything she can to make you happy as well. Problems will always be there ngoba we are different as people, ngakho ke we are bound to not see things in the same light. But whatever problem you have, you should sit down with your wife and discuss it, no amount of women out there will sort out the problem for you, instead they will cause more problems between you and your wife. And remember to think about how you would feel if the tables were turned before you do anything you know will affect omunye wakho. Ngiyalithanda bantwabami, l wish you nothing but happiness empilweni zenu. Let me say goodbye ku makoti. 
Sme: Ulele uSiya baba, but l recorded you so that he can listen when he wakes up
Bab'uNkomo: Kulungile mntanami. You have a good heart mntanami, l know just how blessed uSiya is to have you in his life. Please don't give up on him, l know my son, he will be a lost cause without you.  What he did was stupid, but l'm sure he regrets it 
(He was now sounding breathless)
Sme: I heard you baba, angisoze ngimshiye uSiya. Thank you very much for your support, it means so much to me. You should rest now, l will call you tomorrow to check up on you.
Bab'uNkomo: Kulungile mntanami, lisale kuhle. Libambane ngaso sonke iskhathi, you can conquer everything if you are united. 

I went back to work in deep thoughts, l prayed for ubab'uNkomo to get better. Siya had so much respect for his father and he doted on him. I daren't think about how shattered he would be if he were to lose him. Buhle called to ask if she could come and sleep over at my house because she and umamazala had decided to leave the next morning to go back home, she had been allowed to take a few days off work. That evening everyone was tense, l guess we were all scared of what could happen. We all went to sleep early, l was going to take Buhle and MaMoyo ePark Station before l left for work. 

Around 4am l was woken up by people wailing, my heart beat out of my chest. I looked at my phone and there was a message from Bongiwe. UBab'uNkomo had passed away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment