Wednesday 11 June 2014

Umendo Chapter 33

Umendo Chapter 33

The first thing that came to my mind was my husband, my poor Siya. It broke my heart that he was lying in hospital unaware of what was happening. I got up and went over to Buhle and mamazala. I tried to be strong, to comfort them, but it was just too painful, l broke down. I think l cried mostly for Siya, how was l going to tell him that he had lost his father and he wasn't Junior's father? I made some calls to relatives in SA to let them know about ubab'uNkomo's passing. Everyone was distraught, ubabazala wami was a great respectable man who was loved by everyone who knew him. A man of few words, but whenever he opened his mouth, he spoke wisely and there was a calming effect about him. I sympathised with uMaMoyo, she had been nasty to me, but l imagined how she felt. Back home they only keep a corpse at the mortuary for three days, so l booked Buhle and umamazala onto a morning flight so they could organise the funeral. It's an hour 45 minutes away whereas travelling by road would take about 12hours depending on the border situation. In true MaMoyo fashion, she told me, she didn't ask, she told me to book two of Siya's uncles on the same flight as them. Buhle and l looked at her at the same time with that look that says "are you being serious?". Even in mourning, umamazala wami still managed to make my life a tad harder. Whilst we were still looking at her silently hoping she would say something else like, "oh, never mind, they will get on the bus and arrive in time for the funeral", she said "you can use my son's money, l know he wouldn't mind", then she started sniffling. I booked the uncles onto the same flight, what could l have done, argue with a woman mourning her husband? Thank goodness they insisted on making their own way to the airport. Buhle told me that ubab'uNkomo had a burial society and a funeral policy, so most things would be covered by the society and the policy pay out. When we arrived at the airport, I handed umamazala R7 500. She held it on her open palm looking at it, then looking at me. She didn't have to say anything, her actions said it all, she expected more. Buhle and the uncles thanked me profusely, but umamazala just stood there with her condescending look. I had already spent around  R10 000 on their plane tickets, was l meant to give her more? I felt that the R7 500 was generous, considering the burial society and the funeral policy, plus Siya had three other sisters besides Bongiwe who work full time. A part of me wanted to go withraw some more money to give her, another part of me wanted to stand up for myself and not let her bully me. I knew she wouldn't tell me off infront of the uncles, so l stood my ground. They went to check in and l said my goodbyes, l told them that l was going to fly in on the day of the funeral and fly back the following morning. When l was hugging them goodbye, uMaMoyo whispered into my ear that l should bring his son's money to help out with the funeral. I wanted to tell her that she had spent all her son's money, but I kept quiet of of respect of her grief. This woman was really getting me worked up, all because she wanted a grandchild. 

MaMoyo was not always like this, she had welcomed me into their family with open arms. We used to talk over the phone and laugh as if we had been friends forever. If l didn't contact her for a week, she would call or text asking if everything was alright, if she had maybe said something to offend her. She was thrilled to have a makoti, the first one and possibly the last since she only has one son. I remember l used to say to my friends that l was very lucky because l got on very well with my mamazala, most of my close relatives and friends envied our relationship. Then the jokes about her grandchildren from me and Siya started to sound more and more serious, gradually turning into this. Now l had become the barren woman who was standing in the way of her son having a child, and wasting his money in the process. I called Zandie and she agreed to meet me at the hospital, so did Francis.  I didn't know how to tell Siya about his father and the baby not being his. I didn't know if l should tell him about both things at once, or just the most important? He was awake and looked much better when we arrived. 
Siya: Baby, nguwe lo? Woza la my baby, woza Memela wami..
I sobbed, and hugged him. He winced in pain, l had hurt the wound on his neck when l embraced him. I couldn't stop crying, l was happy that Siya was looking and doing much better. It was like seeing someone you love dearly after 10 years, you just want to embrace them and hold onto that moment forever. Hearing him say my name made my day, no my week and my whole month. It broke my heart that l had to tell him the bad news about his father, what made it even worse was that he couldn't attend the funeral. It killed me just thinking about how much it was going to hurt him.
Sme: (l held his hand) Baby, l cannot explain just how happy l am to hear your voice, to see you looking better everyday. 
Siya: l had to hold on for you baby,for us, l had to see your beautiful face again (He pulled my hand and kissed it with the biggest smile on his face)
Zandie: Get a room you two
Francis: Uqinisile Zandie, hahah
Sme: I can't wait for you to come back home
Siya: Nami njalo love, ukuphi umama? Ubuyelile ekhaya? > Has my mother gone back home?
Sme: (I looked at Zandie and Francis, the moment l was dreading) Yes love, ubuyelile ekhaya umama, she went with Buhle and your uncles. 
Siya: Hawu, kufiwe yini? 
Sme: Ubab'uNkomo had a stroke.....
Siya: What? (He tried to sit up) Nini? When did all this happen? Is that why he didn't come with umama to visit? 
Sme: Yebo love, it happened the day before they were supposed to come visit you. He passed away namhlanje ngabo 4 ekuseni (I cried as l told him)
Siya: No, no, no......... ( he kept saying that and shaking his head, l got on the bed and held him)
Francis: Sokwenzakele ndoda, akwehlanga lungehlanga >Condolences my friend
Zandie: (Crying) l am so sorry about your loss Siya, makalale ngokuthula ubab'uNkomo
Siya: (The pain was written all over his face, but he did not shed a tear) l have to go to my father's funeral. They have to discharge me
Sme: No Siya, you are very weak right now, you cannot travel in your state
Siya: l cannot miss my own father's funeral, l HAVE to go
Francis: Ndoda, l understand ubuhlungu bakho, but you are not physically strong to travel
Siya: I don't care about ukuqina, l will go in a wheelchair if l have to, l have to bury my father
Sme: Baby, they won't discharge you, you have been in a coma for nearly  2weeks, you are just starting to recover. Just talking is taking all your strength, what more ukuhamba Siya
Siya: They cannot hold me against my will, l will take the next flight
Zandie: They won't allow you on the plane unje Siya
Siya: Ngizoyehluleka ngizamile
Siya wouldn't let it go, so l called the doctor who explained to him why he had to stay at the hospital, but he wouldn't hear none of it. Since they couldn't hold him against his will and he was an adult and sane, he was within his rights to leave if he wanted to. So we got his prescription, Francis held him on one side whilst l supported him on the side and we left. I called Buhle and told her about Siya discharging himself, she tried to talk to him, but he still refused. When we arrived at the complex, l saw Lindo gawking at us as we were helping Siya into the house. I made him something to eat,he refused and said that he had no appetite. I told him that he had to eat before he could take his medicine, but he couldn't careless, all he wanted was for me to book tickets and be on our way to ubab'uNkomo's funeral. He finally ate when l told him that not eating and skipping his medication will only make him worse, and increase the chances of him being refused to fly. Francis asked if l wanted him to stay and help me with Siya, but l told him that was going to be fine. He left and told me to call him anytime if l needed him to help with anything. 


Whilst he was eating, l ran a bath for him. I had gone to our bedroom to get my laptop so l could book our flight when l heard a very loud bang and a thud. I ran out of the bedroom to see what had fallen. It was Siya, lying in between the sofa and the coffee table bleeding from the corner of his eye. He was unconscious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment