Monday 9 June 2014

Umendo Chapter 18

Umendo Chapter 18

After the meeting, Siya left with his uncles, I went to visit Siya's parents eMakhandeni. I went past my house first  which I rented out, to check if everything was in working order.My parents borrowed me half of the money for the house, so they collect the rent as their payment and I top it up with monthly instalments to them. I bought it before I got married. Siya's parents live with their two grandchildren and Siya's youngest sister Bongiwe who is two years older than my twin sisters. Bobo was so happy to see me she ran and gave me the biggest hug. Siya's father came out of the house when he heard all the screaming from Popo, he looked older and more frail than I remembered. He embraced me and asked that we go sit under the avocado tree. Siya's mother came to join us, I stood up to greet her, she gave me half a hug as if she was scared I would pass some foreign disease to her and she wouldn't look directly at me. Bobo made us some tea and biscuits. Ubaba Nkomo as we called him apologised again on behalf of his son, whilst MaMoyo, Siya's mother scoffed in disbelief. She finally said,

MaMoyo: Mntanami, ngiyakwakha angikukhubi. When you married Siya you knew how much he wanted children. Akunjalo?
Sme: Yebo kunjalo mama
MaMoyo: Ngakho if you failed to give him what he wanted, what did you expect him to do?
(I sat there dumbfounded, I didn't know what to say. )
MaMoyo: Lakudala endulo mntanami, indoda ibithatha umfazi wesibili ma umfazi esehluleka ukumupha abantwana.
(Ubaba Nkomo jumped in)
Nkomo: Mama kaSiyabonga, uyazizwa nje ukuthi uthini? Into eyenzwe nguSiyabonga lihlazo, uzihlazile, wahlaza unkosikazi wakhe abakubo kanye lathi. Ungamkhukhumezi umntwana esona, ngeke afunde amaphutha akhe mani !
MaMoyo: Hayi baba, all I'm saying is, eventually bekuzomela uSiya athathe umfazi azobazalela ngoba bona lomakoti kusehlula. 
Nkomo: Heeeeeh, hayi batayi. Ungayehlisi isiko lethu kanje mama kaSiyabonga. USiya bekufanele akhulume labomalume bakhe ma ngabe bebelohlupho lonkosikazi wakhe, omalume bakhe besebehlanganisa abadala ukuze kubonisanwe, hayi ubutshapha obunje.  Anyway obesethe umakoti kalayo inzalo ngubani ? (He looked at me) Makoti, uke wamfonela uMaMoyo wamtshela ukuba uwula nzalo nah?
Sme: Hayi baba, angizange.
Nkomo: Odokotela bathi awula nzalo ?
Sme: Hayi, sengibhode ngabhoda, bathi there is nothing wrong with me.
MaMoyo: Ngeke uthembele kuyo yonke into ekhulunywa ngabo dokotela. Kunini sisizwa stories about people who go to different doctors begulela ukufa uzwe kuthwa odokotela ababoni lutho.
Nkomo: Heeeh umama umaNyathi olele emathuneni. Mama kaSiyabonga, nga nguSiyabonga obuye wathi kalanzalo nga uthini ? Lithini isiko ma indoda ingela nzalo? Don't let your desperation for a grandchild from Siyabonga blind you between right and wrong mani. Ubusisiwe ngabazukulu abanje (lifting up four fingers), kodwa wenza angani usuzakufa  ungela ngitsho loyedwa. 
(MaMoyo just looked aside as if ubaba Nkomo had said nothing)
MaMoyo: Kusobala ukuba umakoti nguye ongelanzalo ngoba nanko uSiya umithisile. 
Nkomo: Hayi ngiyazigeza izandla, bazakubona abalamehlo. 

I told them that I had to go because I had a few relatives to visit. I was happy that I didn't have to stay at Siya's because the tension was high up there. Bobo asked if she could come with me and return when we are leaving. Her father said it was fine she can come with, but MaMoyo refused and said who was going to help her with the children, and she didn't want her to miss church. I could see the disappointment in her eyes. Ubaba Nkomo just shook his head, stood up and went into the house. I said my goodbyes and left. 

I told my mother what happened at Siya's parents, she sat me down and said
"Mntanami, your strength is also your weakness. You are very kind and soft. You help anyone and everyone you can, it worries you if can't help someone. You are very welcoming so people warm up to you easily and they find it easy to open up to you. But some people see your kindness and take advantage of that, they don't really consider your feelings because they know that you don't hold a grudge and you easily forgive. I'm not saying change who you are because you are an amazing woman, but  be careful because your strength can also hurt you to a point of no recovery." She went on to tell me that the worst was yet to come when the baby arrived, that's when our love and commitment will really be tested. She told me that this was either going to strengthen us as a couple or break us. She continued to say that l should fast and pray for strength and guidance from God because I will need now more than ever before. "Awukaze waba lula umendo mntanami", she said and embraced me. We knelt down and prayed. 

I went to catch up with my sisters. They were both doing their A' Levels, my brother who comes between me and the twins was away at University. Home is home no matter what. It felt good being home. I wished I could stay longer, but I had to go back the following day because we were starting on a big project at work that coming week. Before we went to bed I told my parents about the car. They were shocked, but were thankful that l wasn't high jacked.This strengthened my father's belief that Jo'burg is no good. 

We flew back on Sunday. Siya told me that his father sat him down and gave him a long lecture, so did his uncles. He apologised again and again, and said the her mother was way out of order, he wouldn't have allowed her to speak to me that way if he had been there. I just kept quiet, I didn't want to raise my blood pressure. 




No comments:

Post a Comment