Sunday 15 June 2014

Umendo Chapter 38

Umendo Chapter 38
We didn't know if Lumkile had something to do with the missing dockets, even if we she did, there was nothing we could have done about it. It was frustrating, especially for my husband because he would have to come face to face with these people soon enough since they hang around in the same places. I feared that he might lose his temper when he came face to face with them and this time they could kill him knowing that they can get away with it. So much for justice! Over the next few weeks, Siya was looking much better, he was called in for two more fertility test after the initial one. I could tell that he was worried, l think what worried him the most was that he thought if he couldn't give me children, l would leave him. 

One afternoon at work l received a message from my bank that my account had been deposited with R35 000. It was from Lumkile, but this time she didn't send any message.  That evening l got a call from Nicole crying
Sme: Kutheni Nicole? 
Nicole: My mum gave Junior away
Sme: Huh? She did what?
Nicole: She called me two days ago asking me if l really wanted to make amends. I told her that l wanted that more than anything, she said she was coming to visit so we could talk. She came to my place this morning, she was so nice to me and she said that she was taking me home with her. She then sent me to the shops to buy bin bags to put my stuff in, l left her with Junior. When l got back she was gone with my baby, l called her and she told me not to worry as she was on her way back. She said that she had gone to sort out 'our' problem. She came back without Junior, when l asked her where he was, she told me that she left him at Door Of Hope. ( Door of Hope is an opharnage in Berea, there is a big metal box on the wall that looks like a huge bread bin. So people dump their unwanted babies there without having to reveal their identity) 
Sme: Oh nkosi yami, why didn't you go to ask for your baby back?
Nicole: I did, but they told me that they will call social workers to deal with this whole issue. They will have to come to assess where l live to see if it's fit for a baby, and obviously l will fail ngoba ngihlala ekhethenini, l'm a single teenage mother, l don't have a job, l don't have any adult helping me take care of my baby. My mum won't let me tell them l live with her because she doesn't want me to get my baby back, in fact she said if they ask her if she thinks l am a fit mother she will tell them that l'm a party animal and l see Junior as something that's getting in my way of having fun which is why l dumped him at The Door Of Hope. Which is all lies because l haven't been out every since l got pregnant, l love my baby, l wouldn't dream of spending a day without him, let alone give him away. But who is going to believe a single teenage mother over an adult who is an officer of law and a 'respected' member of the community? 
Sme: Eish, manje what are you going to do?
Nicole: l don't know, l'm going crazy right now. I know it's too much to ask, but could you please help me with a place to stay until l get my baby back. 
Sme: I wish l could help Nicole, but you cannot move in with us. Things will be too awkward, and l don't think my husband would agree anyway
Nicole: No, l didn't mean moving in with you. I only receive R300 grant per month for Junior and it doesn't even cover my current R500 rent. I sold my phone and bought a cheaper one to pay this month's rent. If l could get a bachelor flat for a month or two whilst they are assessing my situation, l know it will increase my chances of getting Junior back. Then l can find a cheaper place afterwards. I have no one else to turn to
Sme: So you want me to deposit a bachelor flat for you, then pay your rent until you get your son back? 
Nicole: l will look for a job and pay you back every penny, l will start searching from tomorrow. Hopefully l will get it ASAP and work full time then reduce to part time after l get my baby back
Sme: Eyi Nicole, that's a bit much. Let me talk to my husband about it
Nicole: Thank you, and please let me know if you hear of a place they are looking for people, angikhethi. I will do anything, l just want my baby back....Could you please borrow me some money for marketing. 
Sme: I'll keep an ear out for you. l will let you know where to meet me after work. 

Later that afternoon, l met Nicole in Sandton mall, she had lost so much weight. Her clothes were baggy, amehlo ewele phakathi, her hands were ashy l had to buy her some Vaseline before she left. She was devasted about losing Junior, she cried when she told me that she was being punished for what she did to me. I gave her R400, she went to print out her CV and l headed home. I knew Siya wouldn't agree to all this but l had to tell him anyway. I felt sorry for Nicole, even though she had terrorised me, l knew she loved her son and would have done anything for him. But l told myself that if my husband refused ukuthi simncede, l wouldn't feel too guilty because at least he had a roof over his head and wasn't going to sleep hungry. Even though it wasn't an ideal circumstance, it was much better than living under a bridge. Siya was already home when l arrived, he seemed anxious and nervous. He told me that he had a received a call that the results of his semen were ready. He had made an appointment for the next afternoon, l volunteered to join him for the results. I didn't bring up the Nicole issue because he was tense, it would have to wait for a less stressful day. 

The following day Siya came to pick me up at work just before lunch time, his hands were sweating even though it was cold. We didn't say much on our way there, just small talk. I wished l could tell him not to worry, that everything was going to be just fine, but was it? Waiting outside to be called seemed to take forever, when we were finally called in, l held Siya hand and we walked in. The doctor was so blunt and didn't beat about the bush, he said "Right, the results show that you have low sperm count and most of your sperms are slow swimmers. What this means is that your chances of conceiving are less than 15%"






No comments:

Post a Comment