Monday 9 June 2014

Umendo Chapter 16

Umendo Chapter 16

 
I looked at my husband with disappointment and he looked at me with confusion. Everything seemed to be going down South ever since that weekend Lumki arrested me, I just couldn't catch a break. I didn't know if I could carry on anymore. I mean when does it all stop? When had Siya become such a liar? 

Siya: Baby, l am just as shocked as you are about the condoms. I swear I know nothing about them. I promised you that I will be honest with you from now on, and I am being honest. 
Sme: Don't bother Siya, I've had enough of your lies
Siya: You have to believe me, I don't know anything about them 
Sme: I take it you were going to use them with Nicole the day I caught you red handed. Or maybe not, since you had already knocked her up. Are you seeing someone else besides Nicole?
Siya: No, I swear to you, I hadn't planned what happened with Nicole that day, I never planned on sleeping with her and I am not seeing anyone. Just you my baby
Sme: Argggh, ungphathisa ngekhanda Siyabonga. I'm going to talk a walk to the garage and get airtime. I need some fresh air.
Siya: Baby please, I'm not lying to you. Shall l come with you?
Sme: NO, I can't be around you right now 

I left for my walk, I took my time trying to figure out what to do. I was hurt and confused. I knew I couldn't trust Siya anymore. I just didn't know if l was ready to walk away. We had come a long way, and Siya had become a better person since I had met him with a lot of my help. What scared me the most was probably not knowing what lay ahead, what if the next guy was far worse than Siya? I remembered what my mum once told my aunt, her younger sister when she came to tell her that she was leaving her husband because they were always at loggerheads. She said "mnawami, uzowabhoda wonke amadoda uwaqede ma ngabe uyatshiya everytime you have a problem." On my way back it hit me! "Ribbed all the way baby"! Hahah, my cousin Faith, the one who was away in Capetown with her Nigerian boyfriend the weekend I got arrested, she likes using ribbed condoms. That was her saying, she says "once you go ribbed, there is no going back to plain". I argued that why would anyone want a ribbed penis inside them, surely smooth was the best? She laughed and said it was cos I am too traditional and boring. Well I beg to differ. Anyhow, Faith came over to my house one Saturday so we could go together to a baby shower. She dropped her clutchbag when she got up from the sofa and all her stuff scattered all over the living room. I helped her pick up her stuff, amongst the things was a pack of  durex ribbed condoms. I told her I would look for the rest of her things when I got back because we were running late. She later told me that she was missing her mascara and a pack of her ribbed condoms. She joked that I could keep the condoms and add some excitement to the bedroom. I never checked for her stuff when I got back from the party. And amongst the things that were under the sofa was a mascara. 

A part of me felt relieved, another felt a bit guilty. If I was to stay and try to work things out with my husband, l would forever be suspicious. If he came home late, if he went to visit friends or relatives, every phone call or message he receives, I would always be thinking, 'what if'.  When I got home Siya told me that he had been cracking his head trying to figure out how those condoms got there but to no avail. I told him that I believed him, although I didn't tell him why. The relief in his eyes when I told him was priceless. We went shopping for a new sofa that afternoon. After we had purchased the sofa, we decided to have something to eat. Whilst waiting for the bill,  I saw someone who looked familiar with two other girls. It was Sharon, the girl who said she had been arrested for shoplifting. She joined us on Saturday and she called Lumki to bail her out. It was only when the other girl flicked her hair that I realised it was Nicole. They seemed to be arguing, Sharon seemed very angry and the other girl was trying to calm them down. Ngaqhweba uSiya, he asked me if I wanted us to go say hello. I refused, I didn't want a scene in front of all these people. Chances are Nicole would have caused a scene, so I thought it was best to just leave them. I wondered though what Nicole was doing with Sharon. Sharon had said that she knows Lumki and she called her to bail her out, so that's probably how she knew Nicole. I left it at that. We waited for them to leave before we could make our exit. Argggh, the consequences of Siya's  shenanigans! Now I had to suffer everyday because of his escapades. Mxmm, Hayi uSiyabonga. 

No comments:

Post a Comment