Sunday 22 June 2014

Umendo Chapter 46

Umendo Chapter 46

That smile accompanied with a piercing gaze said it all, it was that sort of villian smile you see in the movies. The Afrikaner guy whom I gathered was the chief of that operation whacked Siya on his face so hard with his gun, I swear I heard a cracking sound, probably his jaw. Siya's body went flying across the sofa and he landed the top half of his body on top of the coffee table. His nose was bleeding, I screamed running towards my husband to help him up. One of them pulled me away, no he yanked me away from Siya, I stumbled a little to get some balance. Chief walked slowly towards Siya, he light a cigarette, I don't know why but I screamed, "No Smoking In My House!". He looked at me, with that piercing gaze and that wry smile, inhaled the smoke of his cigarette and blew it towards me, then pressed the lit part of his cigarette onto Siya's arm. He let out a muffled scream and I cried out for the chief to stop hurting him. The other boma beret were still ransacking our house in search of "the drugs" that we knew nothing about. Chief kicked Siya on his head and l went flying towards him,crying for him to stop. One beret held me, I tried to break free from him but his grip was so tight and firm l couldn't even wiggle. He kept kicking him everywhere and stumping on him saying "we are not leaving here without what we came for you kak, ...you bastard", l was sobbing uncontrollable, It killed me seeing my husband being assaulted like that, and worse by officers of the law. Siya was groaning in pain, oh bantu, my poor Siya. As if he hadn't suffered enough when he got stabbed. I was praying silently that they finish the search quickly, that way they would stop beating Siya. I'd rather they locked us up whilst they were doing their investigation than abuse us like that! Now another beret had joined Chief, they were both kicking him, their boots were covered in blood. I knew Siya wasn't going to make it if they kicked him one more time.He was using his hands to block the kicks, eventually he stopped trying to protect himself. He had stopped making any sounds, I knew he had passed out.

 I prayed that they wouldn't shoot him and finish him up. At some point, which to me felt like forever, they stopped kicking Siya, Chief came towards me, l had stopped kicking and screaming . I was on the floor sobbing so hard it felt like my guts had been ripped out of my stomach.I had never cried so much and so hard until that day. At that point I didn't care if they beat me up or shot me, I had never despiced someone so much as l did this Afrikaner chief. He said to me "since that kak of your husband won't tell us anything, maybe you will". I was kneeling on the floor with my eyes fixed on his bloodied boots, "my husband's blood", I thought to myself. He told me to get up and look at him, I stayed on the floor. Not to defy him or anything, I just didn't have the energy, my knees were weak, it felt as if all my bones had been removed and l had been left limp. My tears were falling onto the tip of his boot, washing off the blood. I crawled past him to get to Siya kanti angibuzanga elangeni! He kicked me on my chest flipping me upside down! I bit my tongue so hard I tased the blood gushing from my tongue. I hit the floor with the back of my head and everything went a bit fuzzy for a few seconds. I blinked rapidly to get my vision back. As l was trying to lift up my head, he placed his boot on my forehead. I knew he wouldn't hesitate to crush my head, I had to think of something fast. I had to stay alive for my husband, or what was left of him. I blurted out "Lumkile!". She was the only person l could think of who could have had a hand in all this. She had probably planted something somewhere, in one of Siya's driving school cars probably and tipped them off or something. Eish, that woman! Even after she hac found out that Siya wasn't the father of Nicole's baby, she was still going out of her way to make us suffer. For what? Talk about misguided anger! Or maybe she was mad that l helped Nicole, yeah, that also made sense since she wanted her to suffer for what she did. Or maybe it was because I demanded that she paid me back what had taken from us, so she thought she would get back at us by this? Or maybe it was all the above. Chief still with his boot on my forehead said "Lumi..khile..., what?". Before l could say anything, one beret came out of our spare bedroom and said "found something". Chief moved away from me to see what had been found, I sat up and looked towards them. The beret handed a packet which could have roughly been 2kgs with white powder in it, and a ward of cash. You should have seen the shock in my eyes! What was that doing in our house? 

Chief looked at me, this time his eyes were so full of anger! I knew from his look that he was going to beat me to death. I got up so quick and ran for the door, one of the berets came after me but he missed me by a second, I closed our front door shutting them in and I screamed. I wanted to wake up everyone in the complex so that they would witness my death, and probably my husband's too. I wasn't going to die without a fight! I was pulling the door handle with both of my hands whilst screaming "he....lp.......Nampo besibulala bo, ..... He.......lp!".I saw a few light come on, and l heard a few couple of doors being opened. I was going back and forth with whoever was behind the door pulling to open it. Then I heard "pha..aaaa". A gunshot! I fell to the ground and everything went black.....!

No comments:

Post a Comment