Thursday 12 June 2014

Umendo Chapter 35

Umendo Chapter 35

 
My cousin helped me pack as she had promised. We met up with Zandie later in the afternoon to go visit Siya. I hadn't told my cousin that Zandie was in the dark about me helping Nicole, so she mentioned in passing how Nicole had been brought down to earth and how she had been forced to turn to me for help. I tried to wink at my cousin, ngazama ukumqhweba, but she just pushed my hand away and continued rambling on
Zandie: Huh? Ini? (Zandie looked at me confused)
Noe: She called uMeme again yesterday when her baby wouldn't stop crying
Zandie: Again?? Am l missing something? Is this the same Nicole who tried to destroy your life? (Mina zwi)
Noe: Yena kanye! > Yep, none other than her!
Zandie: Meme? Why? Why ?
Sme: Mfazi, l couldn't let her sleep under a bridge with a week old baby. What if the baby died? I would have never forgiven myself knowing that she came to me for help and l pushed her away. 
Zandie: (Clap once and shakes her head) And l take it you didn't tell me any of this cos you knew l wouldn't go along with this bullshit? 
Sme: I'm sorry mfazi l didn't tell you, but l just couldn't 
Zandie: l know my friend. Your kindness is a blessing and a curse at the same time. I hope it doesn't come back to bite you. 
Siya was sitting on a chair and reading a newspaper when we arrived. He looked stronger than he actually was. I think he was trying to look like he was better so he could leave the hospital. My cousin started to talk about about Nicole, eish, that one also. Me and Zandie pinched her so hard this time she got the message and quickly changed the topic. Siya asked if she had given birth, l told him that she had given birth to a baby boy. I didn't want to tell him about Junior not being his just yet, he had a lot on his plate already. He didn't need more bad news just yet. I had already asked Buhle to speak to MaMoyo and ask her to not mention anything to Siya about the baby. She agreed and later told me it was sorted. Siya said that he was going to get a paternity test when he got back from the funeral. Having to lie to my husband like that killed me, l was sweating and couldn't keep eye contact. I felt like he could see that l was lying, so l quickly changed the topic. I now understood why sometimes people close to you would lie to protect you. 

We flew out on Wednesday morning, l held Siya and would let got of him because l was scared he might fall. He looked much better, but l didn't want to take the chance. Whenever he fell asleep, l checked him regularly to make sure he was still breathing. We went over to my parents' first, I knew that if we went straight to Siya's, l wouldn't be able to leave until the funeral was over. I didn't want people to say "umakoti ubalekela umsebenzi". My parents were very happy to see us as always, my mother prayed for Siya's health, for his father to rest in peace and for Siya's family and our marriage. I borrowed their car and went with my younger twin sister Tasha. My parents and my other twin sister Nelisa were going to join us on Thursday . Ubab'uNkomo was going to be buried in Gwanda, his home where he grew up, so they were going to drive with us there. When we arrived there were so many cars parked outside, we had to ask one of the neighbours to park in their house. There were so many people, ubab'uNkomo was clearly loved and respected by many. We spent a good hour meeting and greeting, half of the people there either knew my parents, or they had grown up with one of my relatives, and apparently l was related to most people there. You know how our elders always find a family connection down the line through surnames. Tasha went straight to Bongiwe as soon as we arrived. Most people told me to stay strong for Siya because he needed me now more than ever. I dreaded going to greet uMaMoyo, she was sat inside the living room with her two sisters and one of her aunts (ubab'uNkomo's younger sister uMaxesha). She was wrapped in blankets and looked defeated. I knelt and greeted them one by one. UMaxesha gave me a hand shake ekhangele eceleni as if l had a bad breath or something, then asked where Siya was. I guess she too felt the same way as uMaMoyo. Yena uMaMoyo she barely touched my hand when stretched it out to greet her. Maxesha who got the name because after she spent 2 weeks in Capetown, she would stand up in church and say "ndithanda ukthatha ixesha leli" everytime, I'm sure she still does even today. Anyhow, Maxesha had always been nice to me, she used to say that l was going to keep the Nkomo name alive, therefore keep her memory alive. So l'm sure after MaMoyo told her that l was barren, l shattered her dreams. 

Salala silindele with ubab'uNkomo biding goodbye for the last time in his home. It was a wonderful service. People sang, drank and danced in celebration of his life and the memories he had left us, some just drank because it was free alcohol. You know there is always those people who will attend anything as long as they serve free alcohol. It was the same here. I kept checking on Siya, or sending someone to check up on him if I was busy with something. I cooked, cleaned, washed up, served and helped with sleeping arrangements for those who couldn't stay up all night. By morning l was knackered and just wanted to have a bath and sleep. I decided to quickly dash to my house, the one my parents helped me buy in Cowdraypark which is just next to eMakhandeni and take a bath. I went with Bongiwe and Tasha. We were back in less than an hour. When we arrived some people told me that Siya had been looking for me, l found him speaking to one of the uncles. The way he looked at me, it was as if he was looking at something disgusting, something he couldn't stand being around. When he finished speaking to his uncle he came over to me and said "How could you refuse to give my mother imali to help out with the funeral? And ukuxosha umama endlini Meme? How could you be so cruel?" 

1 comment: